Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tantrum Time

Now that Holton is almost 16 months old we’ve entered in to scary, new territory………tantrums! Just this week he started having crying screaming fits if he loses a toy, if we take away a potentially dangerous item like a straw or fork, or sometimes when we put him in the car seat he does the limp move while kicking and screaming and don’t even think about changing his diaper! That last one is the worst ever. Here you are changing his diaper as quick as you can while trying to keep him calm and happy and he’s not having any of it. He flails his arms and legs all the while you are risking the “contents” of the diaper going everywhere. It’s awesome!

We try signing to him, we try calmly talking to him, we try silly faces when he’s throwing these tantrums. But, nothing has been fool proof. I’ve done research that says toddlers tantrums are pretty common between the age of 1 and 3. I’m probably getting ahead of myself because these little crying fits just started this week and I don’t think that overnight he’s going to turn into some horrible toddler. But, we just don’t want Holton to be “that kid” at the restaurant or store.

He really is a sweet little baby, but look out when he’s tired and is forced to do something he doesn’t want to do (I wonder where he gets that from?). Ya’ll let me know if you have any words of wisdom for us.

1 comment:

The Daily Stroll said...

Jonah went through a phase where he didn't like having his diaper changed. What helped us was asking him to assist. Hold the diaper, the diaper cream, asking him to try to touch his feet to the ceiling, stuff like that. As far as tantrums we tried time out and it didn't work. After two warnings and if a meltdown starts Jonah has to sit in my lap or Josh's and I rub his back and say shhh until he calms down and then I get down on his level, have him look me in the face and I tell him what he did wrong and ask him to apologize. His apology usually includes rubbing our head and then a hug :) So far this has helped a lot especially when we are home. If we are out in public and he has a meltdown I usually threaten to take him to the bathroom for a spanking (I never have) or we go outside or somewhere I can calm him down with the method above. Hope that helps! Good Luck!