Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, April 24, 2009

Welcoming the troops home

A couple weeks back we went to DFW airport to welcome some of our soldiers home. They all had a couple weeks of much needed R and R after being in Iraq and Afghanistan. And they had just gotten off a 22 hour flight from Kuwait!

The folks at DFW encourage you to wear patriotic colors. Well, I think we had that part covered.
A fuzzy group shot

There was a really good crowd out there and I would say that 80% of the welcoming crew weren't family or friends of these soldiers. It was really great to see that groups of strangers got up very early on a Saturday to show their support.

Holton had a good time and he liked sitting on Adam's shoulders waving the flag while the soldiers got off the flight. Each time a soldier appeared, the crowd would cheer and scream.



Sweet Aunt Amanda and Holton

He eventually lost a little bit of patience so mom took Holton outside to see the soldiers getting on their buses. This is where a lot of the soldiers were borrowing cell phones to speak with their families. Mom let one of the guys use her cell phone. She said the guy broke down when he was on the phone and told his mom that he was in Dallas :)

While outside Holton was also able to check out the firefighters truck. I promise he was more thrilled than this picture shows. He just got a tad camera shy.
All in all it was an awesome experience and I highly recommend you and your family go do this one day. It was so great to bring a little bit of "home" to these men and women who sacrifice so much for us all.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I would love to do something like that. What a great thing for yall to do!

Pam said...

Wow Kim that was really neat. I love this post. How do we find out when they are going to come here?