Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Remembering

On March 18th Adam's Grandfather, Wes, unexpectedly passed away. You may remember reading about him on our blog back in 2007. http://holtonsblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/meeting-great-grandpa.html

Wes grew up in Oklahoma where he worked his family's ranch. He was one tough cowboy! So to honor him, Adam, his brothers and our boys all wore cowboys boots.

The boys with Uncle Patrick
Wes was a great man who will be dearly missed. I thought I'd end this with Adam's post about his Grandpa.

I believe I speak for all of the grandsons when I say we have lost our idle. We wanted to be like Wes - a strong, fearless cowboy who was as tough as they come. His rough side was accompanied by a big heart and a willingness to help people. He had so many qualities that you admire in a man. As kids, he could give a serious look and say something that garnered the utmost level of fear and respect. As adults, we have a better understanding of where that look and demeanor was coming from. All will miss his sense of humor and that laugh when he really got going. We have many fond memories of riding around in an old truck on the ranch surveying the land, cattle, and wheat. We might stop to check on a tractor, put out some cake, look at a new well or even take a shot at a stray coyote. The rides would always be followed by a trip to the cafe discuss events with others and to flirt with the waitress while having a piece of pie. This was a close as it gets to a perfect day for some "city" boys lucky enough to hang out with their hero.

No comments: